Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Monday, July 28, 2008
Friday, July 25, 2008
- Finding cases where your interviewer was involved
- Reviewing briefs or motions filed by your interviewer
- Reading law review articles written by your interview
- Staying on top of news involving your potential firm
- Locating UF Law alumni in the companies where you want to work
If you are looking for an interesting and professional way to distinguish yourself in an interview, cover letter, or networking event, you should join your competition in completing your thorough research ahead of time.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
2. It is your responsibility to travel to the interview if you are selected. Check the costs of flights now to see if traveling to DC is feasible before you submit your bid.
3. Understand that if you bid for the CIA and are granted an interview, it is REQUIRED that you attend. No exceptions.
4. Do not bid for an interview if you do not think you will be able to be in Washington on Friday, August 22nd to interview.
6. To apply, email your resume only in WORD format to Jocelyn.
7. All resumes must be RECEIVED via email by Sunday, July 27, 2008 at 5:00 PM to be considered.
Visit the Department of Justice website for all of the new details about both entry level and summer internship programs! GOOD LUCK!
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008 · 10am to 5pm
Westside Ballroom Salons 1, 2, 3 (5th Floor)
Wednesday, August 6, 2008 · 2pm to 4pm
Edison / Booth Rooms (5th Floor)
Thursday, August 7, 2008 · 10am to 4pm
Westside Ballroom Salons 1, 2, 3 (5th Floor)
Details About The Career Fair
Details About The Resume Review
Law students must be registered for the ABA Annual Meeting to gain access to the Career Fair and Resume Review. Students may register on site on August 7 at 8:00 am. The registration fee for law students is only $75.
Registered law students may also take advantage of the many educational sessions offered during the ABA Annual Meeting. While lawyers must pay for CLE events, registered law students generally are allowed complimentary admittance to educational events providing students the opportunity to meet and interact with legal professionals from across the country.
Hilton New York Hotel (1335 Avenue of the Americas) Rhinelander Gallery, 2nd Floor
Opens 8am Thursday, August 7
ABA LAW STUDENT DIVISION CAREER FAIR
New York Marriot Marquis (1535 Broadway) Westside Ballroom Salons 1, 2, 3, 5th Floor
Opens 10am Thursday, August 7
For Career Fair details, including information about participating employers, please click HERE.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
The Program is open to first and second year law students. Two fellowships with a stipend of $4,000.00 each will be awarded. The term of the fellowship is approximately ten months (the typical length of two semesters or three quarters). Application packages are available in the CCS and must be received by the Planning and Law Division ("PLD") of the American Planning Association by September 15, 2008.
Questions? Please contact Dan Friedlander, Esq.
Monday, July 21, 2008
Friday, July 18, 2008
Teach Yourself Emotional Intelligence (Christine Wilding)
Emotional intelligence is quickly becoming another quality legal employers are evaluating in prospective candidates. Educate yourself about emotional intelligence and learn why the qualities of assertiveness, perception, and motivation really matter if you want to live a fulfilled and successful life.
What Law School Doesn't Teach You...But You REALLY Need to Know (Kimm Walton)
A favorite of the CCS, this book could arguably be required reading for law students. The easy-to-read guide provides information about the techniques and skills necessary for getting a job in the real world, as well as tips and tactics for those looking ahead at legal internships.
2008 National Trade and Professional Associations of the United States
If you are looking for an alternative career, have an interest in a particular type of law, want a unique advantage over other law students, or have absolutely no idea what type of career interests you --- TAKE A LOOK AT THIS RESOURCE. The extensive directory includes current information on 7,800 associations, professional societies, and labor unions including details about membership, meetings, and contact information. Everything from lobbying to education to food safety to everything else in between.
To check out these and any other CCS library resource, email Kimm.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Monday, July 14, 2008
Access the Law Firm Diversity Database to compare demographic groups at many firms with results showing diversity initiatives, part-time/flex-time policies, retention and attrition of attorneys, and more qualitative information about firms which may interest you. After running your searches, you will have access to firm’s complete diversity profile. Try it out today!
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
If so, consider attending The Path to Becoming a Public Defender, a free mini conference featuring career, skills and substantive paths, with public defenders from offices throughout the country
Hosted by the George Washington University Law School Saturday, July 26 2008
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Sponsored by the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia. All questions should be directed to Jennifer @ (202) 824-2337
Monday, July 7, 2008
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
6:00pm to 8:00pm
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
829 Riverside Avenue, Jacksonville, Florida
Are you interested in meeting more members of the Tampa legal community? Looking for a place to network with fellow Legal Professionals? Or do you just want to kick back & relax after a long work week. Enjoy light hors d'oeuvres and drinks in the Wagner Lounge at the Chester H. Ferguson Law Center on Friday, July 11th at 5:30 pm.
5:30 pm-7:00 pm
Chester H. Ferguson Law Center
1610 N. Tampa Street
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P.
Keller and Heckman LLP
Skadden Arps Slate Meagher & Flom LLP
Steptoe & Johnson
Sughrue Mion PLLC
Office of the Public Defender, State of Maryland
US Air Force JAG Corps
US Department of Labor
US Nuclear Regulatory Commission
U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission
Do you want to be considered for an interview with any of these employers?
If your answer is YES --- you should be applying for MALRC. The application deadline is RAPIDLY approaching and all application materials must be received by Wednesday July 9th at 3PM.
Remember . . . MALRC will take place in Washington, DC on Friday August 22, 2008. You will know if advance if you are selected for an interview.
Questions? Need another registration packet? Email Jocelyn.
Friday, July 4, 2008
Thursday, July 3, 2008
- Your name and title of the document. (i.e. Writing Sample - Jack Bauer)
- A paragraph explaining what the document contains (i.e. The following document represents a section of an XYZ I completed in my XYZ class in Fall/Spring (whatever semester). The issue involved XYZ and the brief/memo/etc. argued the position of XYZ or concluded XYZ. The entire XX page brief is available upon request. The goal is to provide your reader with a snapshot of what the entire document contains and suggest an avenue for your reader to obtain a complete copy of the document if they so choose.
Remember, you as the author have the opportunity to provide the best showcase of your writing ability. If an employer has requested a writing sample, they probably will use what you provide in making a hiring decision. Make it easy and approachable for your audience so that your best writing is highlighted.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
- Log into ISIS and pull up your grade information
- Open a WORD document
- Type this sentence on the top of the WORD document: GRADE INFORMATION FOR (INSERT YOUR NAME) <-- your name information is very important!
- Highlight and copy your grade information from ISIS
- Paste your grade information to WORD
- Convert your document into a PDF and save
This method is the best way to provide grade information to employers. Scanning your transcripts is cumbersome and often does not upload correctly. Keep is simple with the above-instructions and you should encounter little to no problems. Email us if you have any questions.